Saturday, November 10, 2012

The Chokey- Chokey

I thought I had invented a really cool choke when I was about 14 years old. I showed it to my coach, very proud and he said,

"Oh, sure. The Klaus Glahn - that's the one Olympic silver medalist Klaus Glahn does."

Needless to say, I was very disappointed that I was not the first person to think of it.

Remembering my lesson on opposite side mat work from the previous week, I taught this on the left side at Gompers on Friday.


When Ronda was 11 or 12 years old, I taught her this same choke, and, just like the kids at Gompers, she had trouble remembering all of the steps. So, she made up a song for it. I used to make her sing it at clinics. Now that she is too mature for that, I sang it for the students yesterday.

Although everyone always laughs about this, you'd be amazed at the number of times I have heard even black belts I've taught murmuring under their breath ...

"You put your right hand in ...."

Here is a video. Enjoy.

The words, in case you cannot tell

You put your right hand in
You put your left hand up
You put your right leg up and
You roll them all about
You do the chokey-chokey and you choke 'em right out!

3 comments:

Al B Here said...

I can't believe no one's commented on the awesomeness of this! The only way it could be improved would be the return of the Sneakerdoodle Zebra Judo videos, featuring Ronda, Julia, and you singing the song! ;)

robthornton72 said...

I need a bigger video slowed down at 1/4 speed with different angles :)

Al B Here said...

It looks to me like a gi version of a d'arce choke. I could be mistaken, though.