Thursday, March 15, 2012

My Judo Class for Tomorrow - and maybe yours too


I am sad because I have been away from judo for three weeks. It wasn't all bad. I spent a lot of time with my lovely granddaughters, one of whom can be seen here after she dominated Ronda with cuteness and took away her world title belt. And there was that Ronda winning the world title thing.


So, here I am at 11 pm after finally having caught up with it all, shipped the last deliverable off to a client, met my last deadline and planning what I am going to do at class tomorrow.

Then, it came to me. I'm going to bring my iPad and let anyone who hasn't already seen Ronda's fight watch it (it's short). After warm-ups (which will include The Gecko and the shrimp) , we are going to go over each of the moves Ronda did in her fight.

First there is "The Switch" which is a fake forward and then a sort of cross between tani otoshi (valley drop throw) and ko soto gari. My friend, Kenji Osugi from Sawtelle Dojo always has very proper names for everything and explanations of why a throw is done properly or not. I, on the other hand, believe if the other person fell down and you landed on top, it was all good.

Second, o soto gari - what the MMA announcers call a leg sweep (which is not at all what we judo people call it.)
Third, there was a very nice cross between a harai makikomi and o soto makikomi, where both Ronda and her opponent were airborne. It was very nice. If you were the one on top.

Finally, of course, there were the two arm bars.

We'll go over all of that, then do some matwork and some standing randori. Nice plan for class tomorrow, don't you think?

Feel free to steal it. I do ask in return that if you do, you post one of your ideas here so I can steal it in return.

6 comments:

Joe Marino said...

That last throw was a makikomi? I'll have to look at it again-- I remember thinking it looked like a cross between koshi guruma and harai goshi.

Tree Frog said...

I took a good look some of Ronda's techniques over on Bloody Elbow last week. It was a very entertaining afternoon figuring out how she did all of those things and so smoothly too.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/3/12/2862424/strikeforce-ronda-rousey-armbar-tate-judo-chop

As a gift in return for those years of teaching your daughter as much as she could learn, I will try to give you some ideas for future plans:

You could try the throws that Akiyama had at UFC 144 against Jake Shields (http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/3/6/2849075/ufc-144-judo-chop-akiyama-hits-some-sexy-judo-throws-on-jake-shields)

You could go through a favorite championship match of yours in recent years or hop in the way back machine and go anywhere you like. Show 'em the video first, like you are doing here, and then teach away.

Ok, thanks, Dr.

Anonymous said...

Could you sometime cover drills/uchi komis and a possible breakdown on improving one's tomoe nage? I find it hard to practice tomoe nage doing uchi komis because of the nature of the throw. Its usually all or nothing and so far I've had a whole bunch of nothing.

Steve Scott said...

AnnMaria,
I really liked your comment about the "Switch." It's been called Tani Otoshi, Ko Soto Gake, Ko Soto Gari (or simply "Ko Soto") and other names by a variety of people, often depending on their particular background or even somehting as simple as their point of view when the throw is done in a tournament.
That being said, the "Switch" is one of those (very effective) throws that is best named by one of my judo kids (Donnie Bunch), who said; "No matter what you call it, just call it Ippon!"

Steve Scott said...

AnnMaria,
I really liked your comment about the "Switch." It's been called Tani Otoshi, Ko Soto Gake, Ko Soto Gari (or simply "Ko Soto") and other names by a variety of people, often depending on their particular background or even somehting as simple as their point of view when the throw is done in a tournament.
That being said, the "Switch" is one of those (very effective) throws that is best named by one of my judo kids (Donnie Bunch), who said; "No matter what you call it, just call it Ippon!"

Dr. AnnMaria said...

Hey tree frog - Great idea, thank you.

Joe - I would call it makikomi because she grabbed her around her head (which you don't do in a regular harai goshi ) and the way she wound into it and landed on her

Anonymous -
I have really bad knees so I never did tomoe nage until I had one of my knees replaced. I do it with both legs to get more strength - go into the regular tomoe and then put the other leg in. I'll try to remember to get photos at practice